Frequently asked questions
What comes in my Sun Basket?
Freshest Farm–to–Table Food
- Hand–selected seasonal ingredients from the country's top farmers, ranchers and seafood purveyors.
- Contains organic produce whenever possible, responsibly–raised, hormone–free meats and sustainably–sourced seafood.
- Transparent labeling that tells you where your food came from.
- Fresher than the grocery store – we deliver the highest quality meats, seafood, and produce from the best farms to your table.
Healthy, Delicious 30–Minute Recipes
- Developed by award–winning California chef, Justine Kelly.
- Most meals take about 30 minutes to prepare.
- Nutritionist–approved recipes with 500–800 calories per serving.
- Easy–to–follow recipe cards and online tutorials.
- All packaging is 100% recyclable or compostable.
- Learn more about our recycling program.
Select a healthy meal plan perfect for you
- Chef's Choice: Each week, delivery includes three of Chef Justine's favorite recipes and fresh seasonal ingredients. Enjoy an endless variety of delicious, satisfying meals featuring the season's best produce and sustainably sourced meats and seafood.
- Rise & Shine: Each week, delivery includes two of Chef Justine's favorite dinner recipes, plus two 5-minute breakfast recipes. This plan is perfect for those who only want to cook two dinners each week, adding on two healthy breakfasts to greet the day. The weekly price is the same as our other plans.
- Paleo: Each week get delivery of quick, low carb Paleo recipes, fresh seasonal produce, and sustainably sourced meats and seafood. You'll never get bored of the Paleo diet with new recipes to cook each week!
- Gluten-Free: Each week, delivery includes three gluten-free recipes and fresh ingredients, like seasonal produce, sustainably sourced meats and seafood, plus healthy gluten-free grains.
- Vegetarian: Each week, delivery includes three delicious meatless recipes and fresh ingredients, with an emphasis on seasonal produce and nutritious plant-based proteins.
How do Sun Basket plans work?
Flexible Meal Plans, Delivered Weekly
- Weekly delivery of fresh pre–measured ingredients and 3 recipes.
- Choose your own recipes each week, or select the perfect meal plan for you.
- Chef's Choice, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian and Rise & Shine (2 dinners + 2 breakfast recipes).
- Change your recipes by clicking on My Menu once you're logged in.
- Meals cost $11.49 per person, delivery costs $5.99 per week. First week's delivery for subscriptions is free!
2–person plan: $68.94/first week, $74.93 thereafter.
4–person plan: $137.88/first week, $143.87 thereafter.
- Skip any week or cancel at any time.
- Skip a delivery or cancel anytime prior to the weekly cut off.
- To skip a week, go to Schedule .
- To cancel you can contact our support team via a toll-free line.
- You will not be charged when you skip a week prior to the weekly cut off.
100% Mouthwatering Guarantee
- We want you to love your Sun Basket.
- 100% money back guarantee on all food, contact us within 7 days of delivery.
- We're not happy unless you're happy.
Weekly Delivery to Your Door
- Carefully packaged to stay fresh in the box for 8 hours after delivery.
- Currently shipping to most zip codes in the Contiguous United States, excluding AK, HI, KS, MN, MT, ND, NE & SD. More locations coming soon!
- Deliveries are scheduled on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays between 8am and 9pm. More delivery days coming soon!
How do I cook with Sun Basket?
Keeping Your Sun Basket Fresh
- Carefully packaged to stay fresh in the box for 8 hours after delivery
- Keep box out of direct sunlight
- Immediately refrigerate ingredients after removing from the box
- Meats and seafood are underneath the divider below your bags. Refrigerate meats and seafood as soon as possible. We recommend you consume your seafood or shellfish within 3 days and meat and poultry within 5 days.
- Recipes with delicate greens and fresh mushrooms are best used within 4 days of delivery
Pantry Staples and Equipment
- Your pantry should include olive oil, grapeseed or sunflower oil, plus salt and freshly–ground pepper
- We occasionally call for wine or butter as an optional recipe item
- To cook you'll need basic pots and pans, knife, vegetable peeler, grater, zester, cooking spoon, spatula, ladle, and a measuring cup
Getting Creative with Sun Basket
- Each week use My Menu to select the perfect meals for you
- For a dinner party, double up on one recipe, or repurpose a recipe as a starter dish
- Cook and freeze soups and stews for make–ahead meals
- Substitute in a healthy snack instead of a meal
What does healthy mean to Sun Basket?
USDA – Certified Organic
- Sun Basket is a certified organic retailer through the CCOF (California Certified Organic Farmers)
- Choosing certified organic foods provides a tangible way for you to benefit the environment and public health
- Being a certified organic supplier helps us support our mission with respect to:
- Supporting public health — Organic ingredients are produced without toxic fertilizers or pesticides
- Quality — We cook with the seasons using the finest organic products, from farmers who are committed to the very best
- Preserving the environment — Organic products are free from genetic engineering and use sustainable practices to help mitigate the spread of unwanted GMO crops and contamination
- All recipes are approved by our in–house nutritionist to comply with the latest USDA dietary guidelines and most recent science–based nutritional recommendations.
- Meals are between 500–800 calories.
- Balanced meals emphasize nutrient–dense produce, whole grains, high–quality protein and good fats, with minimal added sugar and processed foods.
Top Quality Standards
- Sun Basket carefully screens our suppliers to select the highest quality produce available – always non–GMO and free of persistent and systemic herbicides and pesticides
- Sun Basket sources organic ingredients wherever possible. Sometimes an ingredient is not available organic due to weather and seasonality, or because that ingredient can't be classified organic (like sea salt or wild–caught salmon). Organic ingredients in meal kits are clearly labeled upon delivery.
- Our meats and seafood are free of antibiotics and artificial hormones and come from fishermen and ranchers who share our commitment to sustainable practices.
- Our standards meet or exceed the standards of most natural grocery stores
- We follow the best practices in safe food handling, but all of our orders are prepared in the same facility
- Our Gluten–Free meals plans are prepared in the same facility as our other meals, and may not be suitable for those diagnosed with Celiac disease
- If you have a very serious food allergy, we do not recommend that you order from Sun Basket
How do I manage my account?
Making Changes to Your Account
- To change your meal plan, click on the menu in the upper right, click on My Account, and click Edit under Meal Plan.
- To change your password, go to My Account and click Edit under Account Information.
- To change your delivery address, go to My Account and click Edit under Delivery Information
- To change your billing information, go to My Account and click Edit under Billing Information
Managing Weekly Deliveries
- All changes must be made the Thursday before your delivery by Noon PST / 3pm EST.
- To select your weekly meals, go to
- To see your order history, click on the menu in the upper right, then click Meal History
- To skip a week, go to Schedule
- To cancel, please complete the information here
- Know a friend who would love Sun Basket? With our new Refer-a-Friend program, give 3 free meals and you'll get $25 when they join Sun Basket.
- Send Gifts for 1, 2, or 4 weeks of Sun Basket meal delivery.
- Schedule your personalized gift note to be emailed on the date you select.
- Your gift recipient can select their favorite recipes and the delivery date that works for their schedule.
About Sun Basket
Making Healthy Cooking Easy and Delicious
- Certified organic produce
- Responsibly sourced meats and seafoods, free from antibiotics and added hormones
- Sustainable, eco–friendly packaging
- Chef–developed, nutritionist–approved recipes
- Every week, Sun Basket donates an average of 1000 pounds of food to Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo counties, and to the New Jersey Agricultural Society Farmers Against Hunger.
Our Executive Chef
- Created by Chef Justine Kelly, formerly of James Beard award–winning restaurant The Slanted Door
- Passionate about teaching people how to create delicious, healthy meals using the best ingredients and globally–inspired flavors
- A California Bay Area native, with long–term relationships with the area's best local purveyors
The Real Value of Sun Basket
- Direct access to the freshest organic ingredients — we bring the farmer's market, specialty shop, butcher and fishmonger right to your doorstep!
- Save time — no menu planning, no grocery shopping, and no measuring
- Save money — we send you exactly what you need, so you're not buying a big block of tamarind paste or extra herbs that will go to waste
- Fresher than the grocery store! We buy directly from the source, bringing you the highest quality meats, seafood, and fresh picked produce directly from the best purveyors to your table
Join Sun Basket
Want to help revolutionize how people eat? Drop us a line at [email protected].
Become An Affiliate Partner
Interested in helping us grow Sun Basket? We offer industry-leading referral incentives. Get started.