Burmese chicken aloo curry with Japanese sweet potatoes
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
30 - 40 Minutes
This warming one-pot meal is traditionally made with white potatoes (the Burmese word aloo means “potato”). Here, Chef Justine swaps in Japanese sweet potatoes to keep things paleo-friendly. They have a wonderful chestnutty flavor and starchy texture that’s ideal for soaking up the fragrant broth, rich with whole spices.
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 Japanese sweet potatoes
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - olive oil - fresh ginger - fresh garlic - turmeric - salt)
- ½ teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste (contains soy - optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Fresh cilantro
Prep and brown the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken browns, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Scrub or peel the sweet potatoes. Trim the ends and cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
Cook the aloo
Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, coconut milk, cloves, and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
Chop the cilantro; finish the aloo
- When the aloo is almost done, coarsely chop the cilantro.
Chef’s Tip To get the aloo to the table even more quickly, in Step 2, start cooking the onion while you finish preparing the sweet potatoes.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 670, Protein: 33g, Total Fat: 48g, Monounsaturated Fat: 21g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Carbohydrates: 30g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 820mg