Chickpea and cauliflower fried rice with a soft cooked egg
Gluten Free, Vegetarian
2 Servings, 570 Calories/Serving, 35 Minutes
Finely chopped cauliflower makes a grain-free stand-in for rice in this protein-packed vegetarian stir-fry. We’ve loaded it with vegetables, like spring onions, peppers, and asparagus for an easy dinner that’s as colorful as it is delicious.
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 to 2 spring onions
- 3 ounces asparagus
- 16 ounces cauliflower
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ teaspoon kimchi chili flakes- optional
- 1 cup chickpeas
- Fried-rice sauce (tamari- mirin- rice wine vinegar)
Cook the eggs
Prep the vegetables
- Rinse the spring onions, cut the green tops from the bulbs, and then thinly slice both the tops and bulbs, keeping them separate.
- Trim the root ends of the asparagus and cut the stalks on an angle into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Chop the cauliflower into corn-kernel-size pieces, or pulse in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Remove the core and seeds from the bell pepper and cut into ¼-inch-thick strips.
Make the spring onion oil
- In a heat-proof bowl, season the green tops of the spring onions with salt and a pinch of sugar (optional).
Toast the almonds
Make the fried cauliflower
Add the chickpeas and cauliflower, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the fried-rice sauce, remove from the heat, and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 570, Protein: 21 g, Total Fat: 37 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 25 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 225 mg, Carbohydrates: 40 g, Fiber: 12 g, Added Sugar: 3 g, Sodium: 770 mg,