Eggplant Parmesan with sautéed chard
Gluten Free, Vegetarian
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving, 45 Minutes
One of our favorite old-school dishes, this was inspired by those Italian-American restaurants where chianti bottles dripping with wax are set on every table and Dean Martin’s Volare plays on the jukebox. Here, Chef Justine skips the breadcrumbs for a gluten-free version that’s no less flavorful than the original.
- 1 globe eggplant
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh basil
- ¼ pound fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 10 ounces Swiss chard
- Ricotta blend (fresh ricotta - Parmesan - milk - nutmeg - garlic powder)
Prep the vegetables and herbs
- Slice the eggplant into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Sprinkle the rounds with salt and lay them on a paper towel-lined sheet pan. Let stand for 10 minutes; pat dry. Meanwhile:
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Strip the oregano, parsley, and basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut the mozzarella into ¼-inch-thick slices.
Make the tomato sauce
Stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the chopped oregano, parsley, and basil (reserve the rest for garnish). While the sauce simmers, prepare the eggplant.
Cook the eggplant
Assemble and bake
Cook the chard
- Coarsely chop the chard stems and leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 690, Protein: 25 g, Total Fat: 48 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 22.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 16 g, Cholesterol: 70 mg, Carbohydrrates: 42 g, Fiber: 15 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 910 mg