Eggplant Parmesan with sautéed chard
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
40 - 50 Minutes
Cue up some Dean Martin and set out your best red-checkered tablecloth and Chianti for this gluten-free spin on an old-school classic.
- 1 globe eggplant
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh basil
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- ¼ pound fresh mozzarella
- Ricotta blend (fresh ricotta - Parmesan - milk - granulated garlic - nutmeg)
- 1 bunch chard
Prep the vegetables and herbs
- Trim the ends from the eggplant; cut the eggplant crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Sprinkle the rounds with salt; place on a paper-towel-lined sheet pan. Let stand for 10 minutes; pat dry.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Strip the oregano, parsley, and basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop all the leaves together. Set aside 1 tablespoon mixed herbs for garnish.
Make the tomato sauce
While the sauce simmers, prepare the eggplant.
Cook the eggplant
Assemble and bake the eggplant Parmesan
- Cut the mozzarella into ¼-inch-thick slices.
While the eggplant bakes, prepare the chard.
Cook the chard
- Strip the chard leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves and stems.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 43g (66% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 15g (75% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 780mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates: 27g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 14g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.