Grilled squash and black bean tacos with cabbage slaw
Gluten Free, Vegetarian
We love the mix of flavors and textures in these satisfying tacos. The beans and squash give them a meaty texture, the cabbage slaw and toasted pumpkin seeds deliver the crisp and the crunchy goodness, while the peppers give an earthy sweetness.
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 to 2 yellow squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- ¼ pound Savoy cabbage
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- ½ cup black beans
- Taco spice blend (cumin - coriander - Mexican oregano leaf - garlic)
- 6 Mi Rancho corn tortillas
- 1½ ounces queso fresco
Toast the pumpkin seeds
Prep the vegetables and lime
- Trim the squash ends and cut the squash into ½-inch-wide by 2-inch-long wedges.
- Seed and cut the bell pepper and poblano pepper into thin strips.
- Core the cabbage and cut into thin strips.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Juice half the lime and cut the other half into wedges.
Cook the vegetables
Add an additional 1 to 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add the bell pepper and poblano pepper, season with salt and black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bell pepper and poblano pepper begin to soften and char, 6 to 8 minutes. Return the squash to the pan and remove from the heat.
While the bell pepper and poblano pepper cook, prepare the beans.
Cook the beans
- Rinse the beans.
While the beans cook, prepare the slaw.
Make the cabbage slaw; warm the tortillas
Warm each tortilla directly over a flame on the stovetop or in a dry pan over medium heat until just pliable and warmed through, 20 to 30 seconds on each side.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 700, Protein: 25g, Total Fat: 26g, Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Carbohydrates: 95g, Fiber: 22g, Added Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 170mg