Seared albacore tuna steaks with green beans and soft-cooked eggs
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Inspired by the classic salade niçoise, this vibrant main-course salad is also paleo friendly, thanks to purple sweet potatoes in place of white.
- 1 sweet potato
- ¼ pound green beans
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Tuna spice blend (cumin seeds - coriander seeds - black peppercorns)
- Two 5-ounce wild albacore tuna steaks
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives
- Fresh dill
- Sherry vinaigrette base (whole grain mustard - sherry vinegar)
- 3 ounces mixed greens
Fresh tuna is one of a handful of fish that you don’t want to cook all the way through. It’s best to treat it like steak and sear it in a hot pan until browned on the outside but still pink within, whether rare, medium-rare, or medium.
Roast the sweet potato
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Trim the end and cut the potato in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
While the potato roasts, prepare the green beans and eggs.
Cook the green beans and eggs
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans; cut in half on the diagonal.
Return the water to a boil. Fill a small bowl with ice water. Add the eggs to the boiling water and cook for exactly 5 minutes for soft-cooked (for hard-cooked eggs, cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer). Transfer the eggs to the ice water.
While the beans and eggs cook, start the tuna.
Sear the tuna
- On a cutting board, using a rolling pin or the bottom of a small pot or bowl, lightly crush the tuna spice blend; transfer to a plate.
- Pat the tuna dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt. Press the tuna into the spice blend, coating both sides.
While the tuna cooks and rests, finish the meal.
Prep the vinaigrette and remaining ingredients
- Cut the olives in half lengthwise.
- Carefully peel the eggs; cut in half lengthwise.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 47g (94% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 52g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 210mg (70% DV), Sodium: 1100mg (46% DV), Carbohydrates: 39g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: eggs, fish