Seared pork loin with braised radishes
The boldly flavored sauce for this simple seared pork includes garlic, mustard, and caperberries—the fruit of the plant that produces capers. The berries begin as buds, aka capers, that flower if left on the plant, and then turn into olive-like berries with a wonderful flavor that’s less intense than that of the cured buds.
- 1 to 3 leeks
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 4 ounces red radishes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 caperberries
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Two 6-ounce boneless pork loins
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- 1 lemon
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the root ends and dark greens of the leeks and remove the tough outer layer. Cut in half lengthwise. Rinse to remove any dirt.
- Coarsely chop the garlic.
- Trim the tops from the radishes and then cut in half.
- Pick the thyme and parsley leaves from their stems and coarsely chop. Discard the stems.
- Cut the caperberries in half.
Cook the vegetables
Add half the garlic and the radishes, and season with salt and pepper. Add ¾ cup chicken stock and the thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced by half, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in half the parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the vegetables simmer, cook the pork.
Cook the pork
- Season the pork with salt and pepper.
Add the pork and cook until browned but still slightly pink in the center, 4 to 6 minutes on each side, depending on thickness. Transfer to a plate.
Make the sauce
- Juice the lemon.
Add the remaining stock, and cook, scraping the the pan to release the pork bits from the bottom.
Remove the pan from the heat, add the remaining parsley, the butter, if using, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 630, Protein: 42g , Total Fat: 44g, Monounsaturated Fat: 23g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 14g, Cholesterol: 145mg, Carbohydrates: 19g, Fiber: 3g, Added Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 950mg