The Benefits of Fitness
Exercise is one of the best ways to maintain or lose weight, but it also has plenty of other health advantages, including a decrease in the risk of diabetes and cancer. Just 30 minutes of exercise three times a week can add benefits to your everyday life. Here are five great reasons you should work out.
1. Enhance your mood. Need to blow off some steam after a stressful day? A brisk 30-minute run or workout can help you calm down. Physical activity stimulates brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. Regular exercise can also help you look and feel better, boosting your confidence. There’s evidence that regular physical activity can even help prevent depression.
2. Combat chronic diseases. Worried about heart disease? Want to prevent osteoporosis? Physical activity might be the ticket. Regular physical activity can help you prevent (or manage) high blood pressure. It also boosts “good” cholesterol while decreasing triglycerides, and can help you prevent type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, and certain types of cancer.
3. Manage your weight. Want to drop those excess pounds? Trade your couch time for workout time. The more intense the exercise, the more calories you’ll burn, and the easier it is to keep your weight under control. And while dedicated workouts are great, physical activity throughout the day (such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, going for a brisk walk on your lunch break) helps burn calories, too.
4. Boost your energy level. Physical activity delivers oxygen and nutrients to your entire cardiovascular system, helping it work more efficiently. When your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you’ll have more energy to do the things you enjoy.
5. Improve your sleep. Regular exercise can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep, which can improve your concentration, productivity, and mood. There’s one caveat, however: If you exercise close to bedtime, you may be too energized to fall asleep, so it’s best to exercise earlier in the day.
There are many ways to incorporate fitness into your life. Check out a local climbing wall or hiking trail, or join a local kickball or soccer league. If you have a piece of equipment like the TRX Suspension Trainer, take it outdoors and attach it to a tree, playground, fence post, or even a car. Get creative. What matters most is that you get moving!
Written by TRX Training