The Lava Lamp Lab
Clear jar with a lid
1) Pick out a clear jar with a tight-fitting lid.
2) Fill the jar three-quarters full of water and one-quarter vegetable oil. Because oil is less dense than water, it floats on top forming a thin layer of bubbles.
3) Color makes everything better. Add a few drops of your favorite food coloring to your jar.
4) Sprinkle some salt into the jar. It will sink to the bottom, dragging the oil bubbles down with it. As the salt dissolves, it releases the bubbles so that they rise to the top again.
5) Add some glitter, seal the jar, and give it a good shake. Move it up and down, end over end, and from side to side. Just like the salt, it moves to the bottom and back to the top again, only the glitter won’t dissolve so you can enjoy your lava lamp for weeks.
6) Light up your lava lamp by shining a flashlight through the back or the bottom of the jar. When the “lava” stops flowing, give the jar a shake to get things moving again.