What does healthy mean to Sun Basket?
- All recipes are approved by our in–house dietitians to comply with the latest USDA dietary guidelines and most recent science-based nutritional recommendations.
- Meals are typically between 500–800 calories.
- Balanced meals emphasize organic produce, whole grains, high–quality protein, and good fats, with minimal added sugar and processed foods.
- At least one recipe per week will be certified by the American Heart Association's® Heart-Check Recipe Certification Program guidelines for a heart-healthy diet. These recipes will be indicated on the menu page with a Healthy Heart-Check symbol.
Top Quality Standards
- Sun Basket carefully screens our suppliers to select the highest quality produce available – always non–GMO and free of persistent and systemic herbicides and pesticides.
- Sun Basket strives to source organic produce 100% of the time. Currently over 99% of our produce is organic. We are a USDA-certified organic handler, and all organic ingredients are clearly labeled on delivery
- Mother Nature can be fickle. On the rare occasion that we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll let you know with a note in your basket.
- Our meats are responsibly raised and free of antibiotics and artificial hormones.
- We only source seafood that is recommended as Best Choice or Good Alternative by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch® program.
- Our standards meet or exceed the standards of most natural grocery stores.
Animal Welfare Standards
At Sun Basket, we are committed to sourcing the most responsibly-raised meat, poultry, and seafood possible. We work closely with our ranchers, farmers, fisherman, and other suppliers to maintain these high standards and seek ways to improve the welfare of animals raised throughout our supply chain over time.
As of today:
- 100% of Sun Basket’s eggs are organic and come from chickens that are given the ability to roam freely in open environments. We strive to use only eggs from pasture-raised hens but may use free-range when pasture-raised eggs are unavailable.
- 100% of our chicken comes from family farms in the United States that observe high standards of animal welfare. All chickens are given the ability to roam freely, with no broiler cages, and are fed a 100% vegetarian diet. Our chickens are never given antibiotics and are never administered growth promotants, hormones, or steroids. Compliance is demonstrated via third party audit.
- 100% of Sun Basket’s pork comes from ethically-run family farms that care deeply about the welfare of their animals and raise them in a safe, nurturing environment. The pigs are fed a vegetarian diet and housed in open, group environments, without the use of gestation crates. Sun Basket’s pork is always antibiotic-free and, as required by federal regulation, hormone-free.
- 100% of Sun Basket beef is humanely raised in pastures to maintain the quality of the end product by reducing stress and strain on the animal throughout the life cycle. They are given unlimited access to the outdoors, and not in confined areas nor over-crowded in feedlots. Our organic beef comes from cattle that are exclusively grass-fed and our non-organic beef comes from cattle that are grass-fed and grain-finished. 100% of Sun Basket beef is antibiotic-free.
- 100% of Sun Basket lamb is pasture-raised and antibiotic free.
- 100% of Sun Basket turkey is grown on family farms in climate-controlled barns where they have access to fresh, clean water 24 hours a day and are raised on a vegetarian diet that consists of grains and non-GMO vitamins and minerals. They are never caged, never given antibiotics, and are allowed to roam freely throughout the barn with access to the outside.
- 100% of Sun Basket seafood is wild-caught or, for special offerings that may be selected by our consumers, sustainably farmed. We only use seafood that is recommended as Best Choice or Good Alternative by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch® program, and our fishermen use low-impact fishing methods such as line fishing.
By 2024, we are working towards the following goals:
100% of our chicken supply be certified by Global Animal Partnership (GAP) and be processed in a manner that avoids live-dumping or live-shackling, and instead utilizes a pre-shackle, multi-step controlled-atmosphere processing system that’s widely hailed as more humane.
100% of our beef, pork, and chicken be supplied from sources that meet GAP Step 1, certified humane or other known industry standards for "humane".
Did You Know?
You can now text us! Send a text to +1 408-669-4101 to get in touch with a member of Sun Basket Customer Support or click the Contact Us button below for phone and email.