In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Ancho chicken with cabbage, pumpkin seeds, and Cuban mojo
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 460 Calories/Serving
Is it our smoky spice blend or our zesty Cuban mojo that gives this dish its Latin beat? No doubt it’s both! The chicken is seasoned with ancho chile powder, while the veggies are tossed with a citrusy, garlicky sauce.
In your bag
- Sunbasket smoky spice blend (ancho chile powder - granulated garlic - cumin)
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 2 ounces organic shredded red or other cabbage
- Sunbasket Cuban mojo (orange juice - lime juice - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - kosher salt - Aleppo chile flakes - onion - cumin - dried Mexican oregano)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
Calories 460, Total Fat 31g (40% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 410mg (18% DV), Total Carb. 17g (6% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 4g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 35g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the chicken
- Set aside half the smoky spice blend for the pumpkin seeds.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and half the smoky spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut the chicken into ½-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pan. While the chicken is cooking and cooling, prepare the vegetables.
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Cut away any core from the green cabbage; coarsely chop the cabbage.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ¼-inch-wide strips.
In the same pan used for the chicken, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the green and red cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the bell pepper and cook until the pepper starts to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl, add the Cuban mojo, and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper. Wipe out the pan. While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the cilantro.
Prep the cilantro; toast the pumpkin seeds
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems; set aside the leaves for garnish.
In the same pan used for the vegetables, warm 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the pumpkin seeds and toast, stirring often, until golden brown and starting to pop, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate, season lightly with salt and the remaining smoky spice blend, and let cool.
Transfer the cabbage and bell pepper to individual bowls and top with the chicken. Garnish with the cilantro and pumpkin seeds and serve.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish the dish with cilantro.