Baked shrimp with tomato, feta, and lemon-mint orzo
25 – 35 Minutes
This simple gratin, a classic Greek seafood recipe, strikes a lovely balance between hearty and light. Lemon-mint orzo rounds out the meal.
- ¾ cup orzo
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ¾ pound Roma tomatoes
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 1 lemon
- Fresh mint
Cook the orzo
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the orzo; cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.
While the water heats and the orzo cooks, prepare the gratin ingredients.
Prep the gratin ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Cut away the core from each tomato; coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the tomatoes and shrimp
Stir in the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shrimp, parsley, and ¼ cup pasta cooking water, adding more if the sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat.
Broil the gratin
While the gratin broils, finish the orzo.
Dress the orzo
- Zest the lemon and juice half.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Chef's tip: To cook this recipe in even less time, in Step 2, cook the shallots while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 700, Protein: 41g, Total Fat: 22g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 240mg, Carbohydrates: 72g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 740mg
Contains: milk, wheat, shellfish.