In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken and pesto penne with avocado, peas, and Parmesan
Soy-Free, No Added Sugar, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 740 Calories/Serving
Take some penne, toss in fresh pesto and guacamole—and you’ve got a sauce so thick and luxurious, you’ll think there’s cream hiding in there.
In your bag
- 5 ounces penne rigate
- Your choice of protein
- ¼ cup guacamole
- Sunbasket basil pesto (extra virgin olive oil - walnuts - basil - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
- ¼ cup shelled peas
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Calories 740, Total Fat 37g (47% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 530mg (23% DV), Total Carb. 60g (22% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 3g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 39g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (walnut), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the penne
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, reserving ¼ cup [½ cup] pasta cooking water. Return the penne to the pot. While the water is heating and the penne is cooking, prepare your protein.
Prep your protein
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chicken breasts: Pat the meat dry with a paper towel; cut into 1-inch strips. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
Cook your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes for steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken.
Finish the pasta
To the pot with the penne, add your protein, guacamole, basil pesto, peas, reserved pasta cooking water, and as many chile flakes as you like and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the penne to individual bowls. Garnish with the Parmesan and as many remaining chile flakes as you like and serve.
- Fill a sauce pot with salted water for the penne.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the Parmesan.