In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy Chinese zhajiang noodles with pork and shiitake mushrooms
Dairy-Free, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 860 Calories/Serving
With a deeply savory meat sauce and chewy noodles, this home-style Chinese dish is as comforting as Italian Bolognese.
In your bag
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 5 ounces bucatini
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 6 organic scallions
- 10 ounces ground pork
- Sunbasket fermented black soybean paste (fermented black soybeans - canola oil - garlic - ginger - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - Marash chile flakes - brown sugar)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic purple daikon or other small radish
Calories 860, Total Fat 43g (55% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 1130mg (49% DV), Total Carb. 83g (30% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 35g
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Soak the mushrooms; cook the bucatini
Return the water to a boil and season lightly with salt. Add the bucatini and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup [1 cup] pasta cooking water.
While the mushrooms soak and the bucatini cooks, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the vegetables and pork; cook the sauce
- Coarsely chop enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
- Cut a small corner from the ground pork packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Add the fermented black soybean paste and reserved pasta cooking water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the pork is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the sauce cooks, prepare the remaining garnishes.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Cut the cucumber into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks.
- Scrub or peel the daikon; thinly slice the daikon into rounds, then thinly slice the rounds into matchsticks.
Transfer the bucatini to individual bowls and top with the pork, vegetables, and sauce. Garnish with as much cucumber, daikon, and as many green parts of the scallions as you like and serve.
- Measure the water for the mushrooms.
- Measure the onion.
- Scrape out the cucumber seeds with a spoon.
- Garnish the dish.