In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy Chinese zhajiang noodles with pork and shiitake mushrooms
2 Servings, 860 Calories/Serving
With a deeply savory meat sauce and chewy noodles, this home-style Chinese dish is as comforting as Italian Bolognese.
In your bag
- ¾ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 5 ounces bucatini
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 6 organic scallions
- 10 ounces ground pork
- Sunbasket fermented black soybean paste (fermented black soybeans - canola oil - garlic - ginger - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - japones chiles - brown sugar)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 organic purple daikon or other small radish
Calories 860, Total Fat 44g (56% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 1070mg (47% DV), Total Carb. 85g (31% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 34g
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Soak the mushrooms; cook the bucatini
Return the water to a boil and season lightly with salt. Add the bucatini and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup [1 cup] pasta cooking water.
While the mushrooms soak and the bucatini cooks, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the vegetables and pork; cook the sauce
- Coarsely chop enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
- Cut a small corner from the ground pork packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Add the fermented black soybean paste and reserved pasta cooking water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the pork is cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the sauce cooks, prepare the remaining garnishes.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Cut the cucumber into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks.
- Scrub or peel the daikon; thinly slice the daikon into rounds, then thinly slice the rounds into matchsticks.
- Measure the water for the mushrooms.
- Measure the onion.
- Scrape out the cucumber seeds with a spoon.
- Garnish the dish.