In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chopped chicken salad with farro, jicama, and lemon-tahini dressing
Soy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 820 Calories/Serving
What’s hot in Palm Springs? Everything, including the dates. They add moments of chic sweetness to this smoky chopped chicken salad tossed with crisp jicama, dried cranberries, and buttery Marcona almonds.
In your bag
- ½ cup farro
- Protein options:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 10 ounces wild tail-on jumbo shrimp
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- Sunbasket sumac spice blend (sumac - sweet smoked paprika - baharat)
- 1 organic jicama (about ½ pound)
- 1 ounce pitted dates
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons Marcona almonds
- Sunbasket lemon-tahini dressing base (lemon juice - tahini - garlic - orange juice - Marash chile flakes)
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- 2½ ounces queso fresco
Calories 820, Total Fat 41g (53% DV), Sat. Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 430mg (19% DV), Total Carb. 69g (25% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Total Sugars 27g (Incl. 10g Added Sugars, 20% DV), Protein 46g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (almond), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the farro
In a medium sauce pot, combine the farro and 1½ cups [3 cups] lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the grains are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, return to the pot, and set aside. While the farro is cooking, prepare your protein.
Prep and cook your protein
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the sumac spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking, turning once, until the chicken is firm and cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut the chicken into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the sumac spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until firm and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Rinse and drain the scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and sprinkle with the sumac spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and cook without turning until golden brown on one side and starting to turn opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for about 30 seconds for translucent or 1 to 2 minutes for opaque. Transfer to a plate.
While your protein is cooking, make the salad.
Prep the remaining ingredients; assemble the salad
- Using a sharp knife or a peeler, remove the peel from the jicama; cut the white flesh into ½-inch pieces.
- Coarsely chop the dates, checking for any pits.
- Coarsely chop the cranberries.
- Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the almonds; set aside for garnish.
In a large bowl, stir together the lemon-tahini dressing base and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Add the farro, jicama, dates, cranberries, and arugula and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls and top with your protein. Crumble the queso fresco over the salad, garnish with the almonds, and serve.
- Measure the water for the farro.
- Lightly crush the almonds.
- Assemble the salad.
- Crumble the queso fresco over the salad.
- Garnish with the almonds.