Spicy chorizo and tomatillo chili with coconut and lime
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie, Spicy
25 – 35 Minutes
Traditional chili can take hours to cook, but this one delivers a wonderful range of flavors in about 30 minutes. We particularly like the garnish of coconut milk and fresh lime along with the sprinkling of crunchy roasted pumpkin seeds.
- ½ pound fresh loose chorizo
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 poblano chiles
- 1 ancho chile
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 1 lime
- Chorizo chili spice blend (ancho chile powder - granulated garlic - dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
Cook the chorizo
- Cut a small corner from the chorizo packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel.
Prep the remaining chili ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the poblanos; coarsely chop the poblanos. Wash your hands after handling.
- Remove the stem from the ancho, shake out the seeds, and tear the ancho into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos; rinse, pat dry, and coarsely chop the fruit.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Cook the onion and chiles
Finish the chili
Chef’s Tip To make the chili in even less time, in Step 2, start cooking the onion and chiles while you prepare the tomatillos and lime.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 540, Protein: 29g, Total Fat: 35g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 75mg, Carbohydrates: 37g, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 16g, Added Sugars (Maple syrup): 2g, Sodium: 930mg