Fregola risotto with soft-cooked eggs, zucchini, and tomatoes
Vegetarian, Soy Free
30 - 40 Minutes
In this comforting vegetarian main dish, fregola, the toasted wheat couscous from Sardinia, is cooked risotto-style, rendering it creamy and tender.
- ¼ ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ½ pound zucchini
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 cup fregola
- Fresh thyme
- ½ pound cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- ⅓ cup grated Pecorino Romano
Soak the porcini
While the porcini soak, prepare the eggs.
Cook the eggs
While the eggs cook, prepare the zucchini and fregola.
Prep and cook the zucchini and fregola
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure about ½ cup.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
While the fregola cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the risotto
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise.
Remove the fregola from the heat. Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, basil, and Pecorino; season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 510, Protein: 20g, Total Fat: 24g, Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 175mg, Carbohydrates: 51g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 1020mg
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs.