Greek shrimp with tomatoes, feta, and orzo
2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving, 25 - 35 Minutes
In this collaboration between Sun Basket and the Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen, a riff on a classic Greek dish, melting feta cheese adds a briny contrast to the tomato sauce. Urfa biber chiles from neighboring Turkey lend mild heat. The chiles undergo a two-step ripening process: they’re sun-dried during the day, then wrapped up at night to concentrate their flavors. This results in a gentle, earthy spiciness that doesn’t hit right away but comes in layers.
- ¼ pound orzo
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Urfa biber chile flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Fresh mint
- Fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
Cook the orzo
While the orzo cooks, prepare the shrimp and tomato sauce.
Prep the shrimp and tomato sauce ingredients
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
Cook the tomato sauce and shrimp
Stir in the shrimp and reserved pasta cooking water and cook until the shrimp are firm and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
While the shrimp cook, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop enough mint to measure 2 tablespoons.
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems; coarsely chop enough oregano to measure 1 tablespoon.
Ingredient IQ It’s traditional to make this dish with ouzo, an anise-flavored liqueur which is ubiquitous in Greece. We swapped in mirin, because we like the mild sweetness of the Japanese rice wine. But feel free to try it with ouzo if you have some on hand.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 610, Protein: 33 g, Total Fat: 22 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 200 mg, Carbohydrates: 65 g, Fiber: 3 g, Added Sugar (Mirin): 7 g, Sodium: 1340 mg
Contains: milk, wheat, shellfish