In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Ground beef street tacos with kale and queso fresco
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, No Added Sugar, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
These crisp tacos remind Chef Chelsea of the ones sold on the streets of Southern California. Made with leafy kale, pickled jalapeños, and hearty protein, her version hits the mark on seasoning and flavor.
In your bag
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket Mexican simmer sauce base (tomatoes - onion - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - chili powder - sweet smoked paprika - coriander - cumin - dried Mexican oregano)
- 2 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 1 ounce queso fresco
Calories 700, Total Fat 34g (44% DV), Sat. Fat 11g (55% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 290mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 61g (22% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 36g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the onion, cilantro, and jalapeños
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups]. Set aside half for garnish.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves and stems, keeping them separate. Set aside the chopped leaves for garnish.
- If using, finely chop the jalapeños. Wash your hands after handling.
Prep your protein
- Ground meat (including plant based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble into ¼-inch pieces.
Cook the taco filling
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add half the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add your protein, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and breaking up the ground meat if using, until the protein is lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped cilantro stems and as many jalapeños as you like and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the Mexican simmer sauce base and ¼ cup [½ cup] water.
Working in batches if needed, add the kale and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is wilted, about 3 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the filling is thickened and your protein is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the filling is cooking, prepare the tortillas and remaining garnishes.
Crisp the tortillas
- Remove 6  tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
On a sheet pan, lightly brush the 6  tortillas on one side with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; arrange side by side, oiled side down. Toast in the oven until starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs or a spatula, turn each tortilla and fold in half to form a shell. Continue toasting if needed until the shells hold their shape and are crisp, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.
- Crumble the queso fresco.
In a small bowl, stir together the remaining onion and chopped cilantro leaves.
Set out the tortillas, taco filling, tomato, queso fresco, and onion-cilantro mixture. Invite everyone to assemble their own tacos.
- Measure the onion.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Brush the tortillas with oil.
- Stir the onion and cilantro leaves.
- Help set out the taco fixings.