In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Guatemalan jocón de pollo with tomatillo sauce over white rice
Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
A long-standing customer asked us to develop this recipe for her favorite Guatemalan dish, jocón de pollo, a chicken stew with deep Mayan roots.
In your bag
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- 1 organic lime
- 1 organic avocado
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket tomatillo simmer sauce base (tomatillos - mild green chiles - onion - scallions - cilantro - pumpkin seeds - garlic - sesame seeds)
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
Calories: 700, Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 220mg (9% DV), Carbohydrates: 67g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 13g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the dish
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices. Set aside for garnish.
- Remove any coarse stems from the cilantro sprigs. Set aside the sprigs for garnish.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Juice the lime.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Garnish the dish.