In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Hearty beef soup with sweet potato and cabbage
Carb-Conscious, Mediterranean, Dairy-Free, Lean & Clean, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
Inspired by shchi, one of Russia’s national dishes, this restorative soup brims with nutrient-rich cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, sweet potato, and black peppercorns for fragrant spiciness.
In your bag
- ½ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic white or other sweet potato
- 1 organic carrot
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
Calories: 450, Protein: 23g (46% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 420mg (18% DV), Carbohydrates: 43g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Soften the mushrooms and start the broth
In a medium sauce pot, combine the shiitake mushrooms and 4 cups [7 cups] water. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the beef, onion, and sweet potato.
Start the rest of the soup
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
In a medium [large] sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the meat into 1-inch chunks, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
If the pot is dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and sweet potato, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim the ends; cut the carrot into ½-inch pieces.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; coarsely chop the cabbage.
- Remove the mushrooms, reserving 3 cups [5 cups] soaking liquid for the soup broth. Discard the stems and cut the mushroom caps in half; cut any large caps into quarters.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Finish the soup
To the pot with the onion and sweet potato, add the beef and any accumulated juices, carrot, cabbage, mushrooms, reserved mushroom soaking liquid, vegetable broth, and black peppercorns and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls, garnish with the parsley, and serve. (Don’t eat the peppercorns!)
- Measure the water for the mushrooms.
- Scrub the sweet potato and carrot.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with the parsley.