In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Hearty beef soup with sweet potato and cabbage
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
Don’t underestimate the humble cabbage! Packed with fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants, this leafy green steals the show in our spin on Russian cabbage soup.
In your bag
- ½ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic white or other sweet potato
- Protein options:
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 12 ounces plant-based Impossible Burger
- 1 organic carrot
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
Calories 450, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 65mg (22% DV), Sodium 420mg (18% DV), Total Carb. 43g (16% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 23g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Soften the mushrooms and start the broth
In a medium sauce pot, combine the shiitake mushrooms and 4 cups [7 cups] water. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the onion, sweet potato, and your protein.
Start the rest of the soup
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
- Cut a small corner from your protein packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a medium [large] sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the protein into 1-inch chunks, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
If the pot is dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and sweet potato, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim the ends; cut the carrot into ½-inch pieces.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; coarsely chop the cabbage.
- Remove the mushrooms, reserving 3 cups [5 cups] soaking liquid for the soup broth. Discard the stems and cut the mushroom caps in half; cut any large caps into quarters.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Finish the soup
To the pot with the onion and sweet potato, add your protein and any accumulated juices, carrot, cabbage, mushrooms, reserved mushroom soaking liquid, vegetable broth, and black peppercorns and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until your protein is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls, garnish with the parsley, and serve. (Don’t eat the peppercorns!)
- Measure the water for the mushrooms.
- Time the mushrooms.
- Scrub the sweet potato and carrot.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with the parsley.