Hodo Soy tofu burgers with sweet chile mayonnaise
If you're skeptical about tofu burgers, prepare to be converted. This one from Oakland's Hodo Soy is surprisingly sweet and nutty, made with finely chopped carrots and cabbage. Grab a napkin, it's a messy one. Sun Basket’s own sweet chile mayonnaise adds mild heat from the hot sauce Sriracha, but if you’re not in the mood for spicy food, swap in a favorite plain mayo instead.
- ¾ pound russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers
- 1 carrot
- Carrot slaw dressing (sesame oil - rice vinegar - brown sugar)
- 2 Hodo Soy tofu burgers
- 2 whole wheat buns
- Sun Basket sweet chile mayonnaise (mayonnaise - Sriracha - brown sugar)
- Sunflower sprouts
Make the oven fries
- Scrub the potatoes; cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Rinse the potato slices under cold water to remove excess starch. Pat dry with a paper towel.
While the potatoes roast, prepare the slaw, peppers, and burgers.
Toast the black sesame seeds for the slaw
Prep the pepper strips; make the slaw
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; cut the peppers into ¼-inch-thick strips. Set aside for serving.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim off the ends; using the coarse holes of a box grater, grate the carrot.
Cook the burgers; toast the buns
Place the buns, cut sides down, in the pan and cook until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes (or warm them in the oven).
Assemble the burgers
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 670, Protein: 22 g, Total Fat: 36 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 11 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Carbohydrates: 69 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar (Brown Sugar): 3 g, Sodium: 700 mg
Contains: soy, wheat, eggs