Hodo Soy tofu burgers with sweet chile mayonnaise
Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Spicy
25 - 35 Minutes
If you're skeptical about tofu burgers, prepare to be converted. This one from Oakland's Hodo Soy is surprisingly sweet and nutty, made with finely chopped carrots and cabbage. Grab a napkin, it's a messy one. Sun Basket’s own sweet chile mayonnaise adds mild heat from the hot sauce Sriracha, but if you’re not in the mood for spicy food, swap in a favorite plain mayo instead.
- ¾ pound russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers
- 1 carrot
- Carrot slaw dressing (sesame oil - rice vinegar - brown sugar)
- 2 Hodo Soy tofu burgers
- 2 whole wheat buns
- Sun Basket sweet chile mayonnaise (mayonnaise - Sriracha - brown sugar)
- Sunflower sprouts
Make the oven fries
- Scrub the potatoes; cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Rinse the potato slices under cold water to remove excess starch. Pat dry with a paper towel.
While the potatoes roast, prepare the slaw, peppers, and burgers.
Toast the black sesame seeds for the slaw
Prep the pepper strips; make the slaw
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; cut the peppers into ¼-inch-thick strips. Set aside for serving.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim off the ends; using the coarse holes of a box grater, grate the carrot.
Cook the burgers; toast the buns
Place the buns, cut sides down, in the pan and cook until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes (or warm them in the oven).
Assemble the burgers
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 670, Protein: 22 g, Total Fat: 36 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 11 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Carbohydrates: 69 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar (Brown Sugar): 3 g, Sodium: 700 mg
Contains: soy, wheat, eggs