Red lentil curry with chard and naan
Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Soy Free
35 – 45 Minutes
This warming, fragrant, India-inspired stew is our staff nutritionist Kaley’s favorite meal of the week. She notes how more and more research shows the health benefits of a plant-based diet. The lentils and chickpeas are protein powerhouses, while chard is a terrific source of vitamins A, K, C, and E. Added bonus: turmeric is both a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
- 1 red onion
- 1 to 2 carrots
- 1 bunch chard
- Curry spice blend (coriander - ground ginger - granulated garlic - turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chickpeas
- Fresh dill
- 1 naan bread
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Peel and finely chop the red onion.
- Trim the tops from the carrot; cut the carrot in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Strip the chard leaves from the stems. Keeping the leaves and stems separate, coarsely chop the leaves, and cut the stems into ½-inch lengths.
Cook the lentils
While the lentils cook, prepare the chickpeas and dill.
Finish the curry
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
Toast the naan
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 690, Protein: 36 g, Total Fat: 12 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 1.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 114 g, Fiber: 26 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 480 mg