In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Rhode Island johnnycakes with fried eggs and arugula-pistachio pesto
Soy-Free, Vegetarian, Family-Friendly
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
In our version of New England–style johnnycakes, we blend cornmeal batter with grated zucchini and sun-dried tomatoes. Simple, light, and a great alternative to your everyday pancake!
In your bag
- 1 organic zucchini or yellow squash
- ½ ounce sun-dried tomato strips (not in oil)
- 3 organic eggs
- Sun Basket cornbread mix (cornmeal - all-purpose flour - sugar - baking powder - kosher salt)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 head organic butter or other lettuce
- Sun Basket caper vinaigrette (EVOO - capers - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - garlic)
- Sun Basket arugula-pistachio pesto (EVOO - arugula - pistachios - Parmesan - garlic - honey - lemon juice - kosher salt - Aleppo chile flakes)
Rhode Island johnnycakes are an early American staple first mentioned in print in 1793. These flat cornmeal cakes resemble pancakes and are typically fried on a griddle or baked. Also known as “journey cakes,” they were once packed in the saddlebags of American pioneers and cooked along the trail.
Calories: 620, Protein: 21g (42% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 36g (55% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 21g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 250mg (83% DV), Sodium: 1180mg (49% DV), Carbohydrates: 59g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 18g, Added Sugars: 11g (22% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (pistachio), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the johnnycake batter
- Using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the zucchini. Wrap the zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
Cook the johnnycakes
Meanwhile, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; coarsely chop the leaves.
Fry the eggs
- Squeeze the zucchini in a towel.
- Stir the johnnycake batter.
- Assemble the salad.
- Drizzle the johnnycakes with pesto.