Rhode Island johnnycakes with fried eggs and arugula-pistachio pesto
In our California version of New England–style johnnycakes, we blend cornmeal batter with grated zucchini and sun-dried tomatoes.
In your bag
- 1 organic zucchini or other summer squash
- ½ ounce sun-dried tomato strips (not in oil)
- 3 organic eggs
- Sun Basket cornbread mix (cornmeal - all-purpose flour - sugar - baking powder - kosher salt)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 head organic butter or other lettuce
- Sun Basket caper vinaigrette (EVOO - capers - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - garlic)
- Sun Basket arugula-pistachio pesto (EVOO - arugula - pistachios - Parmesan - garlic - honey - lemon juice - kosher salt - Aleppo chile flakes)
Shine from the Inside Out
Trying to add a nutritious punch to your meals? Almost any green vegetable or herb, once blended with nuts and olive oil, can become a silky sauce akin to pesto. Our version here features peppery arugula for a dose of vitamin A for skin and eye health plus nutty pistachios that bring satiating heart-healthy fats.
A johnnycake is a flat cornmeal cake typically fried on a griddle or baked. They have also been called journey cakes, as in the past they were often packed for long trips and cooked along the way.
Calories: 630, Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 39g (60% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 23g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 250mg (83% DV), Sodium: 1240mg (52% DV), Carbohydrates: 60g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 19g, Added Sugars: 11g (22% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (pistachio), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.