Korean beef skewers with apple-cabbage slaw
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
20 – 30 Minutes
In this paleo and gluten-free dinner, ground beef gets a hit of Korean-inspired seasonings and comes with a quick, naturally sweet slaw.
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 3 scallions
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 lime
- 1 wedge red cabbage (about ¼ pound)
- 2 apples
- Slaw dressing base (coconut aminos - sesame oil - apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Wooden skewers
For the tenderest results, handle the ground beef as little as possible: Mix the meat and aromatics only until just combined before shaping the patties and threading the mixture onto the skewers. Overworking ground beef can make it dense, even rubbery.
Make It Leaner
To slash 200 calories and 12 grams of fat from each serving, set aside 2 of the 6 skewers and one-third of the cabbage slaw to enjoy as leftovers tomorrow.
Prep the beef mixture
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the white parts and thinly slice the green parts on the diagonal, keeping them separate. Set aside the green parts for the slaw.
Make the apple-cabbage slaw
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- If desired, peel the apples. Cut the apples into quarters and cut away the core. Thinly slice the fruit.
In a medium bowl, combine the cabbage, apples, and green parts of the scallions. Add the sesame seeds and half the dressing and toss to combine. Set aside the remaining dressing for serving.
Shape the patties and cook the skewers
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 37g (57% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 540mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 39g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 22g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts.