Late summer minestrone
Vegetarian, Soy Free
Labor Day may have come and gone, but here at Sun Basket we’re still saying it’s summertime, since so many of our favorite summer vegetables are still at their peak. Here, tomatoes, zucchini, and basil simmer in our take on the traditional Italian soup. Grilled ciabatta is essential to soak up the broth.
- 1 to 2 shallots
- 1 to 2 ribs celery
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces zucchini
- ¾ pound tomatoes
- 6 ounces kidney beans
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh basil
- 3 ounces pasta shells
- 1 ciabatta roll
- Grated Parmesan
Prep the minestrone ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Thinly slice the celery.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Core and coarsely chop the tomatoes.
Cook the shallots, celery, and garlic
Prep the herbs; cook the zucchini and tomatoes
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Finish the minestrone
Grill the ciabatta
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 750, Protein: 32 g, Total Fat: 22 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Carbohydrates: 109 g, Fiber: 22 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 800 mg
Contains: wheat, milk