In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Meatballs with tomato-shiitake ragu on wilted cabbage
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
In this paleo version of spaghetti and meatballs, wilted sliced cabbage takes the place of pasta, and the tomato sauce comes studded with flavorful shiitakes.
In your bag
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 1 organic egg
- Sunbasket mushroom-herb blend (porcini powder - granulated garlic - dried thyme)
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 wedge organic Savoy or other cabbage (about ¾ pound)
Nutrition per serving
Calories 530, Total Fat 31g (40% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 145mg (48% DV), Sodium 410mg (18% DV), Total Carb. 36g (13% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 29g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Soften the mushrooms
Meanwhile, prepare the meatballs.
Make the meatballs
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Cook the meatballs and tomato-shiitake ragu
- Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic.
- Remove the mushrooms, reserving ⅓ cup [⅔ cup] soaking liquid. Discard the stems and thinly slice the mushroom caps.
Meanwhile, prepare the garnish and cook the cabbage.
Prep the garnish; cook the cabbage
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Measure the water for the mushrooms.
- Time the mushrooms.
- Measure the shallots.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Garnish with the parsley.