In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mediterranean chicken over fresh ricotta cavatelli and asparagus
Soy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving
Think of this dish as a spin on chicken piccata, minus the butter but with all the rich flavor. We serve tender chicken over fresh pasta brightened with a tangy lemon-caper sauce and Italian dressing.
In your bag
- 7 ounces Talluto’s fresh ricotta cavatelli
- Sunbasket Italian dressing (water - champagne vinegar - honey - Parmesan - parsley - garlic - red chile flakes - dried oregano)
- Chicken options:
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 organic boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 10 ounces organic asparagus
- 3 organic scallions
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
Calories 610, Total Fat 13g (17% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 145mg (48% DV), Sodium 700mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 72g (26% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 55g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Marinate the chicken
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil for the asparagus and cavatelli. Separate the cavatelli so the noodles don’t clump together during cooking.
- Set aside half the Italian dressing for the sauce in Step 4.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken and half the Italian dressing. Let stand while you prepare the asparagus and cavatelli.
Prep the asparagus; cook the asparagus and cavatelli
- Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus; cut the asparagus crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
To the pot of boiling water, add the asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a medium bowl. Return the water to a boil, stir in the cavatelli, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the cavatelli, reserving ¼ cup [½ cup] pasta cooking water. Return the cavatelli to the pot. Add the asparagus and toss with about 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil to keep the noodles from sticking. Cover to keep warm.
Cook the chicken
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the bowl; discard the marinade used for the chicken.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut the chicken into 1-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pan. While the chicken is cooking and cooling, prepare the remaining ingredients and start the sauce.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the white parts. Save the green parts for another use.
- Rinse the capers.
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut the remaining lemon into wedges.]
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Cook the sauce
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the white parts of the scallions and capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the scallions start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir or whisk in the flour and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
Add the chicken broth and remaining Italian dressing and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Stir in the cavatelli, asparagus, 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lemon juice, and as much reserved pasta cooking water as needed to reach the desired consistency and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the cavatelli and asparagus to individual plates and top with the chicken. Garnish with the parsley and serve with the lemon wedges.
- Snap off the ends from the asparagus.
- Rinse the capers.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with the parsley.