Mediterranean orzo bowls with pistou
Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Soy-Free
Pistou is the French answer to pesto, minus the pine nuts. For this fast, gluten-free pasta dish, we sprinkle the pine nuts on top, and stir in umami-rich sun-dried tomatoes and vitamin-rich broccoli spears. Our quinoa orzo can stand head-to-head with any wheat equivalent. Plus, it cooks just as quickly, so this dish comes together in only 20 minutes.
- 1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes
- ¾ cup gluten-free quinoa orzo (quinoa - rice)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 6 ounces broccoli
- 1 to 2 shallots
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- Sun Basket pistou (basil - Parmesan - fresh garlic - canola olive oil blend - salt)
- 1½ ounces crumbled goat cheese
Soak the sun-dried tomatoes; cook the orzo
Toast the pine nuts
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Cut the broccoli into long florets, including the stem; quarter the florets lengthwise into thin spears.
- Peel the shallot; thinly slice the shallot crosswise into rings.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes, then coarsely chop.
Stir in the cooked orzo and ¼ cup reserved pasta water and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pistou. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 750, Protein: 24 g, Total Fat: 44 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 21 g. Polyunsaturated Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Carbohydrates: 70 g, Fiber: 9 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 780 mg
Contains: milk, tree nuts