Quinoa-zucchini fritters with tahini dressing and tomato-peach salad
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Lean & Clean, Dairy Free, Soy Free
35 – 45 Minutes
These gluten-free fritters combine hearty yet healthy quinoa, zucchini, and white beans; a summery tomato-peach salad rounds out the meal.
- ⅓ cup rainbow quinoa
- ¾ cup white beans
- 1 zucchini
- 2 scallions
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ¼ pound cherry tomatoes
- 1 peach
- Fresh basil
- Sun Basket tahini dressing base (tahini - fresh garlic - water)
Any time you’re trying to achieve a crusty exterior, whether with these fritters or a steak, moisture will work against you. That’s why, in Step 2, the grated zucchini is squeezed dry in a kitchen towel before being added to the fritter batter. This helps to remove excess moisture and ensure a crispy result.
Cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks and cools, prepare the remaining fritter ingredients and the salad.
Prep the remaining fritter ingredients
- Rinse the white beans.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini. Using a box grater, coarsely grate the zucchini. Wrap the zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside the juice for the tahini dressing.
Make the salad
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut the peach into ½-inch pieces; discard the pit.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Assemble and cook the fritters
- To the bowl with the white bean mixture, add the cooled quinoa and mix well to combine.
While the fritters cook, finish the tahini dressing.
Finish the tahini dressing
Make It Leaner: Instead of pan-frying the fritters in oil, skip the oil and use a dry nonstick frying pan. They’ll be just as delicious, but you’ll lose 130 calories and 14 grams of fat per serving. You can save an additional 50 calories and 4 grams of fat by using only half of the tahini dressing.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 20g (40% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 36g (55% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 155mg (52% DV), Sodium: 350mg (15% DV), Carbohydrates: 52g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.