Herbed chicken breasts with asparagus and soft-cooked eggs
Paleo, Gluten Free, Soy Free
25 - 35 Minutes
This simple spring meal adds up to far more flavor than its short ingredient list suggests. If you’ve never seared asparagus in a pan before, you’ll love how easy it is and how good the spears taste lightly browned in olive oil. Chef Justine’s fail-proof 5-minute soft-cooked eggs always come out with tender, just-set whites and runny, golden yolks, a perfect sauce for the asparagus and chicken.
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Two 6-ounce boneless skin-on chicken breasts
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
- 6 ounces asparagus
- 2 scallions
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
Cook the eggs
While the eggs cook, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
If not using butter, tuck the parsley and thyme under the skin.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken, skin side down; cook until the skin is well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn and cook until the meat is firm and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes, depending on thickness. Transfer to a plate. Do not wipe out the pan.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the asparagus and scallions.
Prep and cook the asparagus and scallions
- Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions.
Transfer the asparagus to a plate and the scallions to a cutting board. Let the scallions cool slightly and coarsely chop.
While the asparagus and scallions cook, prepare the vinaigrette.
Make the mustard-lemon vinaigrette
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 630, Protein: 45g, Total Fat: 42g, Monounsaturated Fat: 26g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 265mg, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 2g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 540mg
Contains: milk, eggs