Lettuce-wrapped salmon with spiced cucumbers and lemon-dill mayo
Paleo Friendly, Dairy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
A paleo-friendly, gluten-free riff on one of the most loved summer meals, these lettuce-wrapped salmon fillets are served with a tangy-sweet lemon-dill mayo and optional buns for the kids!
- 2 lemons
- Fresh dill
- 1 red onion
- 2 cucumbers
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen paleo mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- Four 6-ounce wild Yukon River salmon fillets
- 1 head baby iceberg lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 4 whole wheat buns
According to the Herb Society of America, dill has been prized for thousands of years for its medicinal qualities; in ancient Rome, “gladiators were fed meals covered with dill because it was hoped that the herb would grant them valor and courage.”
Prep the lemon-dill mayo and cucumber salad
- Zest 1 lemon.
- Juice both lemons (the juice will be divided between the lemon-dill mayo and the cucumbers).
- Coarsely chop the dill. Divide into two equal portions, one for the lemon-dill mayo and one for the cucumbers.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Peel the cucumbers, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumbers lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise in half.
In a medium bowl, stir together the onion, cucumbers, remaining lemon juice and dill, and as much Aleppo chile as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook the salmon
- Pat the salmon dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the salmon cooks, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the root end from the iceberg lettuce; separate the leaves.
- Cut away the core of each tomato; cut the tomatoes into ¼-inch-thick slices.
Toast the buns
- Juice the lemons.
- Stir the lemon-dill mayo.
- Stir the onion and cucumbers.
- Separate the lettuce leaves.
- Help serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 11g (17% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 55mg (18% DV), Sodium: 700mg (29% DV), Carbohydrates: 38g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars (Hamburger buns contain trace amounts of added sugars): 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: fish, wheat, eggs, soy
Paleo-strict nutrition: Calories: 270, Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 9g (14% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 55mg (18% DV), Sodium: 510mg (21% DV), Carbohydrates: 16g (5% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.