Shakshuka with feta and toasted pita
30 – 45 Minutes
Your guests will gush over this North African shakshuka, packed with protein. Make this vegetarian breakfast-for-dinner in a cast-iron skillet, if you have one.
In your bag
- 1 yellow onion
- ½ cup roasted red peppers
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- Shakshuka spice blend (coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika)
- ½ teaspoon Marash chile flakes (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ pound leafy greens (such as spinach or baby kale)
- 4 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 2 whole wheat pita breads
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
If you are making this for 4 servings, you’ll achieve the best results by cooking the dish in 2 large frying pans. Alternatively, use a single pan, cook 4 eggs in the shakshuka as directed, and fry the remaining 4 eggs separately: In a medium frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons butter or oil until hot but not smoking. Crack the 4 eggs into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the whites have set and the yolks are slightly runny, 2 to 3 minutes. If you prefer firmer yolks, cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer to individual bowls with the shakshuka.
Marash chile flakes hail from southeastern Turkey and are close cousins of Aleppo chile flakes from nearby Syria. Both types are floral, fragrant, and mild—rather like ordinary red chile flakes on steroids. We love to sprinkle them into tomato sauces like this one to give them a mild kick.
Cook the onion and peppers
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups].
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; thinly slice the peppers.
While the onion and peppers cook, prepare the garlic.
Prep the garlic; finish the shakshuka
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
While the eggs cook, prepare the pita breads.
Warm the pita breads
While the pita breads toast, prepare the garnish.
Prep the garnish
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Measure the onion and garlic.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
- Garnish the shakshuka and serve the meal.
Calories: 570, Protein: 23g (46% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 320mg (107% DV), Sodium: 770mg (32% DV), Carbohydrates: 57g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.