Shanghainese meatballs with cabbage and char siu sauce over cauliflower “rice”

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Shanghainese meatballs with cabbage and char siu sauce over cauliflower “rice”

Dairy-Free, Family-Friendly, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Carb-Conscious

2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving

30–45 Minutes

These Shanghainese or “lion’s head” meatballs are braised in our sweet-savory Chinese barbecue sauce and served with wilted cabbage and cauliflower “rice.” 

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sun Basket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 2-inch piece organic fresh ginger
  • 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
  • 3 organic scallions
  • 1 organic egg
  • 10 ounces organic cauliflower “rice”
  • 1 wedge organic Savoy or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
  • Sun Basket char siu sauce base (maple syrup - coconut aminos - molasses - dried plums - garlic - coconut vinegar - toasted sesame oil - beet powder - five-spice powder)

Nutrition per serving

Calories: 500, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 145mg (48% DV), Sodium: 320mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 39g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 23g, Added Sugars: 13g (26% DV).
Contains: Eggs

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.

Instructions

2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use

1

Prep the meatball mixture

  • Grate or peel and finely chop the ginger.
  • Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic. 
  • Trim the root ends from the scallions. Finely chop the white parts of the scallions for the meatballs; thinly slice the green parts on the diagonal for garnish.
  • Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.

In a large bowl, using a fork or whisk, blend the egg with the ginger, garlic, and white parts of the scallions. Add the meat, season generously with salt and pepper, and mix until just combined. Set the bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up the mixture. Meanwhile, prepare the cauliflower “rice.” 

2

Cook the cauliflower “rice”

In a wok or large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the cauliflower “rice,” season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes [4 to 6 min]. Transfer to a medium bowl and cover to keep warm. Wipe out the pan. Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage.

3

Prep the cabbage; shape and cook the meatballs

  • Cut away any core from the cabbage; cut the cabbage crosswise into thirds and separate the leaves. 

Remove the meat mixture from the freezer. Using wet hands, form the mixture into 8 [16] meatballs, each about 1½ inches wide. 

In the same pan used for the cauliflower “rice,” warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the char siu sauce base and ½ cup [1 cup] water. Place the cabbage leaves around the edges of the pan, cover, and cook, stirring the meatballs occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and the meatballs are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. 

Serve

Transfer the cauliflower “rice” to individual bowls and top with the meatballs, cabbage, and char siu sauce. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions and serve. 

Kids Can!
  • Press the garlic (if you have a press).
  • Separate the cabbage leaves. 
  • Measure the water for the char siu sauce. 
  • Time the cooking. 
  • Garnish with the scallions.