SoCal fish tacos with avocado, cabbage slaw, and spiced lime yogurt
Gluten Free, Soy-Free
20 – 30 Minutes
In our spin on the SoCal staple, we replace the fried fish with sautéed sole and swap out the mayo-drenched slaw for a lightened-up version dressed with oil and vinegar.
- 3 ounces green cabbage
- 3 scallions
- 2 ounces shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- Two 5-ounce sole fillets
- ¼ cup gluten-free cornstarch
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- Fresh cilantro
Turn your remaining tortillas into chips: Heat the oven to 350°F. Cut the tortillas into wedges. On a sheet pan, drizzle the wedges with 1 to 2 teaspoons neutral oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Make the slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
Make the spiced lime yogurt
- Zest and juice 1 lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for garnish.
- If using, divide the cayenne into two equal portions, one for the yogurt and one for the sole.
Prep and cook the sole
- Pat the sole dry with a paper towel; cut the fillets crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips and season lightly with salt.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, spread the cornstarch in an even layer; season generously with salt, pepper, and as much cayenne as you like.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sole and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
While the sole cooks, heat the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 6 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 28g (56% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 41g (63% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 26g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 710mg (30% DV), Carbohydrates: 66g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: fish, milk