Southeast Asian chicken salad with sesame-lime dressing
Paleo, Gluten Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
This fast paleo and gluten-free main-course salad is packed with fresh herbs, inspired by the Southeast Asian classic known as larb.
- 3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 lime
- 3 scallions
- 2 ounces dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup roasted cashews
- 1 cucumber (about ½ pound)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 5 ounces baby kale
Make It Leaner
Cook the chicken thighs in just 1 tablespoon oil to slash 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving. To cut an additional 40 calories and 4 grams of fat per serving, use only half the cashews.
Despite the name, allspice is not a blend of spices; rather it’s the dried berry of the Pimenta dioica tree, native to Jamaica and Central America. It tastes like a milder blend of clove and nutmeg; you might recognize it from jerk seasoning.
Cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt, pepper, and the allspice.
While the chicken cooks and rests, prepare the sesame-lime dressing and the remaining salad ingredients.
Make the sesame-lime dressing; soak the apricots
- Zest and juice the lime into a large bowl.
- Trim the root end from 1 scallion; thinly slice the scallion on the diagonal. Save the remaining scallions for another use.
- Cut the dried apricots into quarters.
Finish the salad
- Coarsely chop the cashews.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 38g (76% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 400mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 41g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: tree nuts.