Southwestern grilled chicken salad
Gluten Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Topped with lean grilled chicken and good-fat avocado, this main-course salad showcases the best of summer produce and is ready in just 20 minutes.
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cucumber
- 3 or 4 red radishes
- 2½ ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- Two 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado
- 2½ ounces baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
Prep the vegetables
- Rinse the black beans.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- If using, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the jalapeño; finely chop the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks and rests, prepare the remaining salad ingredients.
Prep the remaining salad ingredients
- Zest and juice the lime.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro. Divide into two equal portions, one for the salad and one for garnish.
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
Toss the salad
Make It Leaner: To cut out 30 calories and 3 grams of fat, use only half the oil and vinegar in the salad dressing. To cut down on fat even more, in a dry nonstick pan, cook the chicken without additional oil; this will save you up to 40 extra calories and 5 grams of fat.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 50g (100% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 360mg (15% DV), Carbohydrates: 36g (12% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.