Summer vegetable panini with fresh mozzarella and arugula pesto
Vegetarian, Soy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
Not your grandmother’s grilled cheese sandwiches, these ooze with melted fresh mozzarella, sautéed spinach, basil, and lightly salty sun-dried tomatoes.
- 1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes
- 1¼ pounds summer squash
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ¼ pound baby spinach
- ¼ pound baby arugula
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- 4 lavash flatbreads
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Sun Basket arugula pesto (arugula - walnuts - Parmesan - olive oil - salt)
Soak the sun-dried tomatoes
Prep and cook the squash
- Trim the ends from the summer squash; cut the squash on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
While the squash cooks, prepare the garlic.
Prep and cook the garlic and greens
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
Assemble and cook the panini
- Cut the mozzarella into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes and pat dry; thinly slice the tomatoes.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems.
Warm the pan used for the spinach over medium heat. Working in batches if needed, add the panini and cook, turning once, until the lavash are toasted and the mozzarella has started to melt, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and slice in half.
While the panini cook, finish the squash.
Dress the squash
Chef’s tip: If you have a panini press, by all means pull it out for this recipe. If you have a grill and feel like cooking outside, brush the outside of the folded lavash lightly with oil and cook the sandwiches over a medium fire.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Strip the basil leaves.
- Help assemble the panini.
- Dress the squash.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 45g (69% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 12g (60% DV), Cholesterol: 45mg (15% DV), Sodium: 460mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 51g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: tree nuts, milk, wheat.