In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sweet and sticky tofu rice bowls with pickled greens and orange salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Dandelion greens are no ordinary weed. Their pleasantly bitter flavor makes them the perfect pairing for our sweet tofu glaze and bright orange salad.
In your bag
- ½ cup quick-cooking long-grain brown rice
- 1 bunch organic dandelion greens or other leafy greens (about 7 ounces)
- Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - maple syrup)
- 10 ounces Hodo organic firm tofu
- Sunbasket sweet tofu glaze (maple syrup - coconut aminos - molasses - dried plums - garlic - coconut vinegar - toasted sesame oil - beet powder - five-spice powder)
- 1 organic orange
- 3 organic scallions
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
Calories 600, Total Fat 14g (18% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 260mg (11% DV), Total Carb. 88g (32% DV), Fiber 15g (54% DV), Total Sugars 27g (Incl. 17g Added Sugars, 34% DV), Protein 30g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut), Soybeans, Sesame (sesame)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1¾ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Pickle the dandelion greens (see Chef’s Tip)
- Remove any coarse stems from the dandelion greens; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a medium bowl, combine the dandelion greens and quick-pickle brine. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the tofu
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels and cut it crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the tofu, season with salt and pepper, and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to low, add the sweet tofu glaze, and turn to coat the tofu. Cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the tofu is cooking, start the salad.
Make the orange salad
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange. Cut the fruit lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Discard any seeds.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the scallions on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
In a medium bowl, toss together the orange, scallions, and carrots. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled greens from the brine. Top the rice with the tofu, greens, and orange salad. Garnish with the black sesame seeds and serve.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Combine the dandelion greens and brine.
- Peel the orange by hand.
- Assemble the orange salad.
- Help assemble the bowls.