Trout in parchment with zucchini-almond salad
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Cooking in parchment seals in moisture and flavor, creating a sophisticated yet easy paleo and gluten-free main-course paired with a zucchini-almond salad.
- 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 or 2 caper berries
- 2 sheets parchment paper
- 2 trout fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 zucchini
- 3 tablespoons roasted almonds
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
For a more elegant presentation, in Step 4, instead of thinly slicing the zucchini into rounds, you can use a peeler to cut the zucchini into ribbons.
Make It Leaner
Drizzle each fillet with just 1 teaspoon oil in Step 2 to shave off 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat per serving. Cut an additional 40 calories and 3 grams of fat per serving by stirring only half the almonds into the salad. Save the remaining almonds for another use such as a topping for yogurt or oatmeal, or on a salad in place of croutons for a healthier crunch.
Prep the ingredients for the trout
- Cut the lemon in half lengthwise and thinly slice one half crosswise; save the other half for another use.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Remove the stems from the caper berries; cut the caper berries lengthwise into quarters or coarsely chop.
Assemble the parchment packets
Working with 1 sheet at a time, bring 2 opposite sides of the parchment to the center and fold them together several times to create a tight seam. Fold up each end to form a tight seal.
Bake the packets
While the trout bakes, prepare the zucchini-almond salad.
Make the zucchini-almond salad
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; very thinly slice the zucchini crosswise into rounds.
- If desired, coarsely chop the almonds.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 41g (82% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 34g (52% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 510mg (21% DV), Carbohydrates: 16g (5% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Fish, tree nuts.