Turkey meatballs with corkscrew pasta and red sauce
30 - 40 Minutes
Spaghetti and meatballs gets the Sun Basket treatment in this delicious riff on the old-school favorite, made with fusilli, a pasta shaped like a corkscrew. For healthier protein, we swap in quinoa fusilli in place of regular wheat, and lean ground turkey instead of beef or pork. Get the kids involved with mixing and shaping the meatballs. They can also tear the lettuce instead of cutting it with a knife, and make the salad while you all share some family time in the kitchen.
- ½ pound Edison Grainery gluten-free quinoa fusilli
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 scallions
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- ½ cup whole wheat panko
- Meatball spice blend (granulated garlic - dried oregano - sweet smoked paprika)
- ¼ pound shredded carrots
- Sun Basket marinara sauce (diced tomatoes - tomato paste - fresh garlic - olive oil - balsamic vinegar - salt - black pepper)
- 1 romaine heart
- Sun Basket vinaigrette (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- 1½ ounces grated Parmesan
Cook the pasta
While the water comes to a boil and the pasta cooks, make the meatballs and sauce.
Prep the meatball ingredients
- Cut off a small corner of the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions and set aside the green parts for the meatballs, the white parts for the marinara sauce.
- Finely chop the spinach.
Assemble and brown the meatballs
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if necessary, add the meatballs and cook until browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side (they will finish cooking in the sauce). Transfer the meatballs to a plate. Do not wipe out the pan.
Make the sauce; finish cooking the meatballs
While the sauce cooks, prepare the salad.Add the marinara sauce and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the meatballs and simmer until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the pasta,stir gently stir to coat, and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the sauce and meatballs cook, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim off the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop or tear the leaves.
- Wash the scallions, spinach, and romaine.
- Help shape the meatballs.
- Tear the romaine.
- Dress the salad.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 790, Protein: 40 g, Total Fat: 40 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 21 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 130 mg, Carbohydrates: 66 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 660 mg
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs