Turkey and spinach meatballs with corkscrew pasta and marinara
30 – 40 Minutes
Marinara-smothered, lean turkey meatballs and protein-packed quinoa pasta add up to hearty classic you can feel good about.
- ½ pound gluten-free quinoa fusilli
- 3 scallions
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- ½ cup whole wheat panko
- Meatball spice blend (dried oregano - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- 3½ ounces shredded carrots
- Sun Basket marinara (tomatoes - tomato paste - balsamic vinegar - fresh garlic - olive oil - salt - black pepper)
- 1 romaine heart
- ¼ pound mixed greens
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
Cook the fusilli
While the water heats and the fusilli cooks, prepare the meatballs and sauce.
Make the meatballs
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the white parts for the sauce.
- Finely chop the spinach.
- Cut off a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel.
Brown the meatballs
Make the sauce; finish the meatballs
- Divide the shredded carrots into two equal portions; set aside half for the salad.
While the sauce and meatballs cook, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
Chef’s tip: Before cooking the meatballs, you can test the seasoning of the turkey mixture by cooking a tablespoon or so in a small frying pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Wash the scallions, spinach, and romaine.
- Tear the romaine.
- Dress the salad.
- Sprinkle the pasta with Parmesan.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 700, Protein: 40 g, Total Fat: 40 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 21 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 130 mg, Carbohydrates: 66 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 660 mg
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs