Tuscan vegetable soup with ciabatta croutons
35 – 50 Minutes
Sun Basket’s homage to ribollita, this hearty minestrone-like soup is made with chunky ciabatta croutons, white beans, and a rainbow of fresh vegetables.
In your bag
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 celery ribs
- 1 carrot
- 1 or 2 waxy potatoes (such as Yukon Gold or red; about 6 ounces total)
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 small bunch kale
- ¼ pound shredded green cabbage (such as Savoy)
- ¾ cup crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan
If you’d like, save some of the croutons to sprinkle on top of the soup for a little added crunch.
Make the ciabatta croutons
- Tear the ciabatta into 1-inch pieces.
While the ciabatta croutons toast, start preparing the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Trim the ends from the celery; cut the celery on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim off the ends; cut the carrot in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Scrub or peel the potatoes; cut the potatoes lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick pieces.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Start the soup
Add the kale, cabbage, tomatoes, and 3 cups water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender and the soup thickens, 5 to 7 minutes.
While the soup simmers, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the soup
- Rinse the white beans.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Tear the ciabatta.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Strip the kale leaves.
- Rinse the beans.
- Garnish with the Parmesan.
Calories: 590, Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 5mg (2% DV), Sodium: 850mg (35% DV), Carbohydrates: 83g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 13g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.