Tuscan vegetable soup with ciabatta croutons
35 – 45 Minutes
With its hearty mix of potato, carrot, kale, and cabbage, Sun Basket’s homage to ribollita, the minestrone-like soup made with leftover bread, is simple to prepare and deeply satisfying to eat. The trick is to season as you go, sprinkling every new addition lightly with salt to help bring out its flavors. If you’re craving extra protein, top off the soup with a poached or fried egg. For a hit of acid, drizzle on a little balsamic or sherry vinegar.
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 celery ribs
- 1 carrot
- 1 or 2 Yukon Gold potatoes
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 small bunch kale
- ¼ pound Savoy cabbage
- ¾ cup crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan
Make the ciabatta croutons
- Tear the ciabatta into 1-inch pieces.
While the ciabatta croutons toast, start the soup.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Trim the ends from the celery; cut the celery on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim off the tops; cut the carrot in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Scrub or peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick pieces.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; coarsely chop the cabbage.
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Start the soup
While the soup simmers, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the soup
- Rinse the white beans.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Chef’s Tip If you’d like, save some of the croutons to sprinkle on top of the soup for a little added crunch.
Calories: 520, Protein: 22g, Fiber: 14g, Total Fat: 13g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Sodium: 970mg, Carbohydrates: 79g, Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g.
Contains: Milk, Wheat