In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Two-bean chili mac ’n’ cheese with penne
Family-Friendly, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Chili or pasta—why choose? This dinner is the ultimate mash-up of two comfort food favorites: cooked beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, and chili spices tossed with hearty mac ‘n’ cheese.
In your bag
- 5 ounces penne
- ½ cup cooked white beans
- ½ cup cooked kidney beans
- ½ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- ½ cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 organic lime
- ¼ cup organic Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup grated cheddar
- 3 organic scallions
Calories 600, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 40mg (13% DV), Sodium 590mg (26% DV), Total Carb. 79g (29% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 26g
Contains: Milk, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the penne
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and set aside. While the water is heating and the penne is cooking, prepare the chili.
Cook the chili
- Rinse the white beans and kidney beans.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the mirepoix and chili spice blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, and 1 cup [1½ cups] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mirepoix is tender and the chili thickens, 7 to 9 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the lime yogurt.
Make the lime yogurt
- Zest the lime and juice half, keeping the zest and juice separate; save the remaining half for another use. [Zest both limes and juice ½ lime; save the remaining 1½ zested limes for another use.]
In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, lime zest, and 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL] lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the chili mac ’n’ cheese
- Set aside ¼ cup [½ cup] cheddar for garnish.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
Remove the chili from the heat. Add the penne and all except ¼ cup [½ cup] cheddar and stir until the cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chili mac ’n’ cheese to individual bowls. Garnish with the lime yogurt, scallions, and remaining cheddar and serve.
- Time the penne.
- Rinse the beans.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the lime yogurt.
- Garnish the dish.