Yellow coconut curry tofu with black rice
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Dairy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Fans of our Globetrotter trip to India last month might remember the fragrant taste of garam masala in the marinade for our tandoori-style chicken. Here the northern Indian spice blend joins Madras curry powder from the Southeastern port city of Chennai, in an intriguing cross-country seasoning for this easy stew. The golden color of the sauce is particularly striking against the black rice.
- ¾ cup Lotus Foods Forbidden black rice
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- ½ pound Hodo Soy braised tofu
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 lime
- Curry spice blend (yellow curry powder - madras curry powder - garam masala)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 5 ounces baby spinach
Cook the rice
Prep the curry ingredients
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and finely chop or grate the ginger.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into thin strips.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Cut the lime in half. Juice half; cut half into wedges.
Cook the curry
Add the tofu, bell pepper, and mushrooms, season with salt, and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and the vegetables are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
Pour in the coconut milk and ½ cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the vegetables have softened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach and simmer until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and season to taste with salt.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 610, Protein: 23 g, Total Fat: 25 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8.5 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 83 g, Fiber: 14 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 620 mg