EXPLORE:

Celery’s Star Turn

Celery’s Star Turn

The most underrated vegetable gets a moment in the spotlight

That head of celery going limp in your refrigerator just got a second chance. Think of this recipe as the vegetable equivalent of the librarian who takes off her glasses, lets down her hair, and suddenly has the whole room turning their heads. Our riff on the classic celery Victor, a dish that was created by the same San Francisco chef who gave the world shrimp Louie, gets a spark from a little Marash chile, a touch that we think makes the already-elegant original just a little more exciting.    

Celery Victor Recipe 

Serves 8

Shopping List
Celery Victor:
1 bunch organic celery 
1 organic yellow onion
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 sprigs organic fresh tarragon
2 organic eggs
2 teaspoons Marash chile flakes
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Tarragon vinaigrette:
2 or 3 sprigs organic fresh tarragon
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons anchovy paste
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Tools
Peeler, whisk, optional, 2 small bowls, large bowl, small sauce pot, large Dutch oven or sauce pot

1. Prep and braise the celery

  • Trim the celery, reserving a few leaves for garnish, and separate into stalks (10 to 12 total). Using a vegetable peeler, peel the outside of the celery stalks, removing the tough strings. Cut the celery stalks in half crosswise so they fit inside a large pot.
  • Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ¾ cup.

In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, combine the chicken stock, onion, peppercorns, salt, and 2 sprigs tarragon and bring to a boil. Add the celery stalks, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the celery is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the celery to a large bowl. Discard the cooking liquid.
While the celery cooks, boil the eggs and prepare the vinaigrette.

2. Cook the eggs
Bring a small sauce pot of water to a boil and fill a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and cook for 10 to 12 minutes for hard-cooked. Transfer the eggs to the ice water to cool. Carefully peel the eggs, then finely chop.

3. Make the vinaigrette; finish the celery 

  • Strip the tarragon leaves from the remaining 2 or 3 tarragon sprigs; coarsely chop enough leaves to measure 3 tablespoons. Reserve the remaining whole leaves for garnish. 

In a small bowl, using a fork or whisk, blend the chopped tarragon, vinegar, anchovy paste, and Dijon until smooth. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking or stirring until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
Drizzle half the vinaigrette over the warm celery and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. 

Serve
Transfer the chilled celery to individual plates. Drizzle with any remaining vinaigrette, garnish with the chopped eggs, tarragon leaves, and celery leaves. Sprinkle with the Marash chile flakes and pepper and serve. 

Nutrition per serving: Calories: 120, Protein: 3g (6% DV), Fiber: 2g (8% DV), Total Fat: 9g (14% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% DV), Cholesterol: 45mg (15% DV), Sodium: 970mg (40% DV), Carbohydrates: 5g (2% DV), Total Sugars: 2g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.

Bonus recipe—ingredients not included in box. 

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View Our Meal Plans