How to Boil an Egg
Sun Basket's egg-cellent technique for yolks your way
Cold eggs straight from the refrigerator will crack in the boiling water. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature, or rinse them under warm tap water, before adding to the pot.
- Boil water in a medium sauce pot.
- Gently slide eggs into the water using a spoon.
- Boil eggs for 5 minutes for soft yolks, 7 minutes for medium yolks, 9 minutes for firm yolks.
- While the eggs boil, fill a medium bowl with cold water and ice cubes.
- Remove eggs from boiling water with a slotted spoon and transfer them directly to the bowl of ice water to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Crack the shells and peel the eggs.