How to Prep Garlic: A Masher Class
Before you start, trim both ends of each garlic clove and remove the papery skin.
Finely chop with a knife:
- Using the side of your knife, smash the garlic clove.
- Finely chop the smashed clove.
Smash it with a garlic press:
- Add peeled cloves to a garlic press and squeeze.
- Using the back side of the knife, scrape the mashed garlic from the press.
Grate it with a fine-toothed grater:
- After peeling, grate the clove on a fine-tooth grater.
- Once grated, tap the grater on the cutting board and then run your finger along the inside of the grater to remove any remaining mashed garlic.