Punch It Up
Get the party started with our easy-to-make batch cocktail
If you’re looking for a festive drink to mix this season, our modern take on a classic screwdriver is an easy-drinking crowd-pleaser. Blood orange juice adds bold color and refreshing flavor. We swapped in gin, a rosemary-infused simple syrup, and a splash of prosecco for the bubbles. To keep the party moving smoothly, put it in a punch bowl and let your guests serve themselves.
Blood Orange Gin Punch Recipe
⅓ cup cane sugar
5 sprigs organic fresh rosemary
11 or 12 organic blood oranges
1¾ cups gin
1¼ cups prosecco
5 cups ice
Peeler, punch bowl, small sauce pot
1 Make the simple syrup
In a small sauce pot, combine 1½ cups water and sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add 3 rosemary sprigs and bring to a boil (set aside the remaining 2 sprigs for serving). Remove from the heat and let steep until cool, about 30 minutes.
Discard the rosemary. Measure ½ cup simple syrup; save any remaining simple syrup for another use.
2 Prep the orange wheels and twists; mix the cocktail
- Cut 1 blood orange in half, then cut one half crosswise into thin slices. Do not remove the peel; discard any seeds. Reserve the other orange half for juicing.
- Using a peeler, remove the zest in 2-inch-long strips from the blood oranges, being careful to remove only the outermost orange layer and leave behind the bitter white pith. You'll want 1 strip per serving, or 8 to 10 total.
- Juice enough oranges to measure 3¾ cups.
- Cut the remaining rosemary sprigs into 1-inch pieces and set aside for garnish.
- In a punch bowl, combine the orange juice, gin, prosecco, simple syrup, and 1 cup ice. Stir until well incorporated, then add blood orange rounds.
Set out rocks glasses and the remaining ice and invite everyone to make their own cocktail, garnishing with an orange twist and a rosemary sprig.
Chef’s Tip: To save time, make the simple syrup the night before; let cool and refrigerate in an airtight glass jar. If you prefer a nonalcoholic cocktail, skip the gin and prosecco, increase the amount of orange juice, and add a splash of soda water or iced tea just before serving.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 170, Protein: 1g (2% DV), Fiber: 1g (4% DV), Total Fat: 0g (0% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 0g (0% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 15mg (1% DV), Carbohydrates: 13g (4% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 2g (4% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Bonus recipe—ingredients not included in box.