Braised chicken and mushrooms with roasted lemon and cauliflower
Richly flavored beech mushrooms have a slightly crunchy texture and delicious nutty flavor. When they cook in the same pan used to brown the chicken they take on an added dimension of flavor.
- 1 lemon
- 1 pound cauliflower
- ¾ pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs thyme 2 sprigs oregano
- 3 ounces button mushrooms
- 3 ounces beech mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken stock
Roast the cauliflower and lemon
- Cut lemon into thin half-moon slices.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
While the cauliflower and lemon cook, prepare the chicken.
Brown the chicken
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the vegetables
Prep the vegetables
- Peel the onion and cut it into thin slices.
- Mince the garlic.
- Coarsely chop thyme and oregano leaves.
- Cut the button mushrooms in half or quarters./li>
- Trim the root ends of the beech mushrooms and break them apart.
Make the sauce
Return the chicken to the pan along with any juices that accumulated on the plate. Add the mushrooms and chicken stock. Increase the heat to high, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the stock has reduced by about half and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, 8 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 620, Protein: 39 g, Total Fat: 41 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 26.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.5 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 110 mg, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Fiber: 8 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 700 mg