“Protein-style” turkey burgers with avocado
Fans of California's In-N-Out Burger may recognize this bun-less burger as a riff on the chain's famous Protein® Style patty. Chef Justine makes this one Sun-Basket style, using low-fat ground turkey instead of beef, and boosting the flavor of the meat with lime zest, cilantro, and a little serrano chile for added heat. She tops it off with her own "secret sauce," a sriracha-laced mayonnaise.
- 1 to 2 shallots
- 1 serrano chile (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 to 2 cucumbers
- 2 to 3 red radishes
- Fresh mint
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 2 ounces butter lettuce
- Chile mayonnaise (mayonnaise - sriracha chile sauce)
Season and prep the burgers
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
- Remove the ribs and seeds and finely chop the serrano chile, if using.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Zest and juice the lime.
Cook the burgers
While the burgers cook, prepare the toppings and make the salad.
Prep the toppings and make the salad
- Thinly slice the tomato.
- Pit, peel and thinly slice the avocado.
- Cut the cucumbers on a diagonal into half-moon slices.
- Cut the radishes into half moons.
- Chop the mint leaves. Discard the stems.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 700 Protein: 32g Total Fat: 47g Monounsaturated Fat: 20g Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 120mg Carbohydrates: 42g Fiber: 9g Added Sugar: 0g Sodium: 1370mg